⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New Standard Names for Satellite Data

From: Aleksandar Jelenak - NOAA Affiliate <aleksandar.jelenak>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 22:28:33 -0500

Hi Philip,

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Cameron-smith, Philip
<cameronsmith1 at llnl.gov> wrote:
> it may be a good idea to make the std_name capture your concept more precisely.

I was thinking to propose first collocation_interval but then realized
it is just a time interval and I would need to define "collocation".
Why do you think plain time_interval will not work?

> Are you thinking about two instruments on the same platform? different platforms?

Same or different platforms; ground vs satellite/airborne instruments;
airborne vs satellite instruments; any combination.

> If more than one satellite, do they need to be in the same orbit?

No.

> If one satellite, does this depend on the scanning pattern and timing, and whether or not one of the instruments gets turned off for a while?

In the most general case -- no.

> Is this something that will vary with every point in space and time, since sometimes satellite tracks cross before the orbit repeats, and/or scan patterns can change?

If by "every point in space and time" you mean "each collocation pair"
then -- yes.

       -Aleksandar