⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New Standard Names for Satellite Data

From: Aleksandar Jelenak - NOAA Affiliate <aleksandar.jelenak>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:20:13 -0500

Bruno, John:

platform_azimuth_angle defines an angle where the observation point is
at the vertex, one side of the angle points north, the other side
points to the platform, and the angle is calculated clockwise from the
north. The observation point is defined by an instrument on the
platform.

Here's one diagram explaining this angle:
http://science-edu.larc.nasa.gov/SCOOL/images/azimuth.gif

platform_azimuth_angle in the diagram is labelled "Satellite Azimuth
from North". The observation target is labelled "Where You Are".

I don't agree the definition is weak. It mentions that "platform"
means the vehicle from which *observations* are made, and clearly
indicates that *observation target* is at the vertex of this angle.
Perhaps the confusion is arising from the term "azimuth" as it is
widely used in ship and airplane navigation.

I opted for "platform" in the name because I saw a standard name
platform_zenith_angle which can be applied to satellite zenith angles
and thought to complete the other two missing: satellite scan/look
angle and satellite azimuth angle by replacing "satellite" with
"platform".

       -Aleksandar