⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New Standard Names for Satellite Data

From: John Graybeal <jgraybeal>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:10:09 -0800

Aleksandar,

My comment was (supposed to be) that the definition for platform_orientation was weak. I apologize for not being clear.

I see from the diagram (thank you) that your term is nothing like platform_orientation; with your zenith angle reference, all becomes clear.

I would like to suggest minor modifications to save others from my mistakes. In this usage, the platform is *not* the vehicle from which this particular observation is made -- the platform is the thing being observed. (It may also make observations, but they aren't relevant to this parameter, that I can tell.) So could we drop the first sentence, and explicitly say something like "Platform_azimuth_angle is the angle whose vertex is at the observation point. It is the horizontal angle between..."? For those who know about solar_azimuth_angle I'm sure this is unnecessary, but obviously a few of us got lost.

(Note the definition did not say the "observation point" was at the vertex, and I totally misread the definition -- as I suspect Bruno did -- in the other direction, with the observation point at a distance from the platform. My extensive exposure to platform-based coordinate systems like those in SensorML did me in, sorry.)

John