⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New Standard Names for Satellite Data

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 19:48:00 +0000

Hi Alexsandar,

My initial instinctive guess at the meaning of time_interval was that it would be the time interval over which a measurement was averaged (which CF has other means for encoding). My second guess was that it was encoding the time between one observation in a time series and the next by the instrument (not collocated), which is also not what you want.

We have very little already in CF for guidance, that I know of. My suggestion is for something like:

time_collocation_repeat_interval

We could also try the following, which sounds a bit strange. But it is consistent with existing constructs, is less ambiguous, and could be extended more easily:

time_repeat_interval_due_to_collocation

I think I prefer this option.

Since the underlying quantity is really just time, we could also think about encoding this with a std_name_modifier. But this seems an unusual case, and I think such a route would likely cause more confusion than it solves.

Whatever we end up with will need a description. Could you draft that?

Best wishes,

      Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.