⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] warming up old stuff - part 1: aerosol mie scattering

From: Markus Fiebig <Markus.Fiebig>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:01:24 +0000

Dear Martin,

thanks for the hint with the definition term! I would therefore like to propose to name and define the discussed variable:

"volume_scattering_coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_assuming_mie_scattering"

The volume scattering coefficient is the fractional change of radiative flux per unit path length due to redirection of an incident light beam by a component in the reference volume. "Aerosol" means the suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets). "Ambient aerosol" is aerosol that has taken up ambient water through hygroscopic growth. The extent of hygroscopic growth depends on the relative humidity and the composition of the aerosol. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. A phrase assuming_condition indicates that the named quantity is the value which would be obtained if all aspects of the system were unaltered except for the assumption of the circumstances specified by the condition. "mie scattering" means that the scattering coefficient is calculated assuming spherical particles described by one refractive index
for the whole particle volume.

Best regards,
Markus

Dr. Markus Fiebig

Dept. Atmospheric and Climate Research (ATMOS)
Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU)
P.O. Box 100
N-2027 Kjeller
Norway

Tel.: +47 6389-8235