⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] warming up old stuff - part 1: aerosol mie scattering

From: Shankar, Uma <ushankar>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 02:03:12 +0000

Hi Martin and Markus -

At present CMAQ doesn't output extinction coefficients directly (although post processing can produce those outputs, but that is not a standard model application). However it's quite likely that the coupled WRF-CMAQ, due for public release in the near future, will have the full complement of aerosol optical properties in the output files. I will pass along to the responsible people at EPA. I agree with Markus that if the name represents measured as well as modeled quantities the name should be more universally applicable. I'm not sure that optical depth measurements give you the scattering coefficient though - I have seen extinction and absorption optical depths from which you would need to use a retrieval algorithm to get anything columnar or level-specific for the relevant coefficient. Would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks -
Uma
---------
Uma Shankar, Research Associate
Institute for the Environment
Bank of America Plaza CB# 6116
137 E. Franklin St Room 644
Chapel Hill NC 27599-6116
Phone: (919) 966-2102
Fax (919) 843-3113
Mobile: (919) 441-9202

In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: they must be fit for it; they must not do too much of it; and they must have a sense of success in it. -John Ruskin, author, art critic, and social reformer (1819-1900)