⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] warming up old stuff - part 1: aerosol mie scattering

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 11:16:10 +0100

Dear Markus,

       thanks for the thoughtful response. I cc this to Uma Shankar who had sent me the RSIG (http://badger.epa.gov/rsig/) CMAQ variable list from where this suggestion originated. CMAQ is of course a model. I don't think it would hurt to have also standard_names for pure model quantities, but I agree with you that one may have to phrase and define this more clearly. The name you propose is already in the list, and the suggestion was to include a more specific term to denote the specific contribution from Mie scattering.

Best regards,

Martin

PS: original proposal was
"* How can we get more specific about the "extinction coefficient"? In particular, we would like to express something like "..._due_to_Mie_scattering". But does this work with " volume_extinction_coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol". The new name would then become "volume_extinction_coefficient_in_air_due_to_Mie_scattering_of_ambient_aerosol" ? (and would "Mie" be spelled with "M" or "m"?)"

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt