⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] warming up old stuff - part 1: aerosol mie scattering

From: Markus Fiebig <Markus.Fiebig>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:31:05 +0000

Dear all,

please excuse if I come in late into this discussion, but I would like to make a few comments about the proposed variable name

"volume_extinction_coefficient_in_air_due_to_mie_scattering_of_ambient_aerosol"

As it is written above, the name is self-contradicting. The aerosol extinction coefficient is defined to include both, particle scattering and absorption. The part of the aerosol extinction coefficient that is due to particle scattering is commonly referred to as aerosol scattering coefficient. Also, I need to apologise for not having followed the discussion concerning the use of the term "mie", but it appears rather to confuse than to clarify in the context here. Even though the term Mie-particle is colloquially used for a spherical, internally well mixed aerosol particle, such a particle exists only in theory or in some numerical model. If the variable name is also to be used for an observed quantity, which I think it should, the term "Mie" should be avoided.

How about putting this much simpler, and name the property:

"volume_scattering_coefficient_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol"

or, to avoid even more confusion:

"volume_scattering_coefficient_at_stp_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol"

Regards,
Markus

Dr. Markus Fiebig

Dept. Atmospheric and Climate Research (ATMOS)
Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU)
P.O. Box 100
N-2027 Kjeller
Norway

Tel.: +47 6389-8235