⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Warming up old stuff - 1, 2, 3 (air quality, aerosols)

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:22:51 +0000

Dear Martin,

The table has not been updated since July 2011 which is why your names are not published at the moment. I had planned to do an update in December but had some technical problems which caused the vocab editor to keep crashing. These are fixed now and I agree that an update is well overdue. I plan to do an update on 22nd March (this is to give time for advance notification on the mailing list of all the planned changes and allow for simultaneous publication of the update on the CF website and in the NERC vocabulary server). There are a number of sets of names which have been accepted and are waiting to be added to the table. To summarise the situation with your various air quality names:

volume_extinction_coefficient_in_air_due_to_mie_scattering_of_ambient_aerosol; m-1

This name is accepted for inclusion in the standard name table. It slightly extends the syntax that we have used for other 'coefficient' names; I think it does so in a clear way.

mass_concentration_of_pm2p5_ambient_aerosol_in_air; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_pm1_ambient_aerosol_in_air; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_pm10_ambient_aerosol_in_air; kg m-3

As stated in your original email, these names all follow existing syntax and they were subsequently supported by Philip Cameron-Smith. These names are accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

mole_fraction_of_hydrogen_sulfite_in_air; 1
mole_fraction_of_alkanes_in_air; 1
mass_concentration_of_coarse_mode_ambient_aerosol_in_air; kg m-3
mole_fraction_of_aldehydes_in_air; 1
mole_fraction_of_dichlorine_in_air; 1
mole_fraction_of_methlyglyoxal_in_air; 1

These names all follow existing syntax and they were subsequently supported by Philip Cameron-Smith. Two or three of them introduce new chemical species names for which you have provided definitions, including alternative chemical nomenclature. These names are accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

All the names will be included in the next update of the standard name table.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065