⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ensemble dimension

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 16:30:22 -0400

Hi All -

The term realization is, apparently, *perfectly* clear to you
modelers, but it conveys no information at all to me.

Since it looks like it's going to be adopted, I hope you'll provide
a really clear definition in the standard - something that even an
oceanographer will understand.

Thanks!

- Nan

John Caron wrote:
> Jonathan Gregory wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> "realization" is fine as a standard name. I had forgotten we had
>> introduced it.
>> I withdraw my suggestion of ensemble_member_identifier.
>>
>> Thus, the standard name (of realization) can be used to identify an
>> ensemble
>> axis. I think that providing an axis attribute as well could be
>> helpful: with
>> spatiotemporal axes we have both methods of identification, and it is
>> possible
>> there might be ensemble axes in which realization was a not a good
>> choice of
>> standard name.

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *