⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ensemble dimension

From: Kettleborough, Jamie <jamie.kettleborough>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:14:06 +0100

Hello Nan,

one of the aims of using 'realization' was to make this term less tied
to models, though it looks as though this isn't working. So a review is
a good idea. I'm still not sure about tying this to the term 'ensemble'
though.

I think there are a set of problems around representing errors that are
closely related, and so treating them in a similar way in CF **may**
make CF meta-data easier to use for both human users (fewer concepts to
remember and possible concept transfer from one context to another) and
applications (through reuse of code in slightly different contexts).

The underlying class of problem is something like: some things have
errors in them, and these errors have complex distributions (not
represented by an analytic function, possibly with covariances between
variables), how do we represent these complex error distributions in CF?
So this could include model based forecasts, forecasts based on
statistical fits to empirical data, and also observations of quantities
(though I'm less clear about the subtleties of obs - and we didn't think
about these in the original proposal). If the error characteristics are
sufficiently complex that simple summary statistics (like standard
deviations) are not enough then a one way of representing these errors
is through a set of sample points, and their weights - from these you
can generate moments of the error distribution, or cumulative
distribution functions, or probability distribution functions.

The term 'realization' was introduced to try and capture the dimension
of the 'sample points'. In the context of a model based forecast each
ensemble member provides a 'sample point'. The original proposal we
considered using the term 'sample' rather than 'realization', but
thought this was too overloaded a term e.g. grab sample. We also
proposed the standard name 'realization_weight' to represent the other
part of the error characterisation, but I'm not sure it ever made it
through the process.

Though I guess things aren't quite as clear cut as I've tried to make
them - especially in the context of observations. In some cases the
sample dimension is actually just one of the other dimensions - like
time or space (or both). I don't have enough experience of observations
to say how widely used other ways of generate error characteristics are
(e.g. through computer simulation of an instrument), and if there are
how you would represent the errors and the terms you'd use to talk about
them.

Another possible complication is that not all uses of ensembles result
directly in a quantitative error estimate of some quantity - so loading
the 'ensemble' dimension towards this use may not be helpful.

So I think it comes down to something like:

1. what is the main use of ensembles?
2. is the main use of ensembles a special case of a broader problem? if
yes...
3. does CF gain by accommodating the broader problem? if yes...
4. what are the most useful terms for talking about the broader
problem.
5. if the initial answers to any of the above are wrong, does CF have
the mechanisms to recover - how well would users and applications cope
with 'aliased' dimensions?

Sorry, there are no concrete proposals in this mail, but I figured a bit
of context behind why we didn't use a standard name based on the term
'ensemble' might be useful.

Jamie