⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ensemble dimension

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 18:40:49 -0600

Thinking about the ensemble dimension as capturing error is very
different from how I would be likely to use it working with regional
climate models.

When I see the term 'ensemble', I think of running a model multiple
times and then grouping the outputs from those runs together. If the
runs differ only in their seed states, then one could interpret the
ensemble as representing a particular kind of error (which it sounds
like is the case with forecast ensembles), but it's easy to imagine
wanting to group together runs that have the same spatio-temporal
coverage and resolution but different boundary conditions or model
physics, or even ones that come from different models, in which cases
'error' may not really be well-defined or meaningful. Certainly one
could calculate the agreement or disagreement associated with whatever
it is the ensemble members differ by, but I think that's secondary to
the bundling together of a group of identically-structured data sets
that have some kind of familial relationship.

So I think 'ensemble' is a special case of "I did the same thing a
bunch of times, and these outputs all go together" and that it would
be more helpful to support that broader usage than to load the
definition toward error.

Cheers,

--Seth

****