⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ensemble dimension

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:50:47 -0700

All,

Nan's point deserves consideration. Well-chosen names should help the
uninitiated to understand the concepts that CF is encoding.
"Realization" is arguably the opposite sort of term; the sort of term
that clicks as being sensible only _after_ one understands the range of
concepts that can be encoded by CF. In the spirit of usability testing
for user interfaces, the measure of quality should not be whether the UI
(or terminology) seems sensible to the designers; it should be whether
the UI leads the uninitiated user to proper understanding. Nan's
comment speaks to that point.

Doesn't "ensemble_member_identifier" seem to be a more self-evident term
that would better enable a new-comer to grasp the contents of a CF
ensemble dataset? Admittedly, a small point ....

    - Steve

Steve Hankin, NOAA/PMEL -- Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080, FAX (206) 526-6744
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men
to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke