⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] ensemble dimension

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:15:19 -0600

Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear all
>
> "realization" is fine as a standard name. I had forgotten we had introduced it.
> I withdraw my suggestion of ensemble_member_identifier.
>
> Thus, the standard name (of realization) can be used to identify an ensemble
> axis. I think that providing an axis attribute as well could be helpful: with
> spatiotemporal axes we have both methods of identification, and it is possible
> there might be ensemble axes in which realization was a not a good choice of
> standard name.
>
> Best wishes

using Tigge and ENSEMBLES datasets as examples (with GDS willing to modify their output), it sounds like a modest proposal is to recommend either of these attributes to identify the ensemble coordinate variable:

  axis = "ensemble";
  standard_name = "realization";

with the idea of keeping it simple and follow paco's advice:

> It was clear from the previous round of discussions that it would be very
difficult to aggregate ensemble members produced with different grids
using NetCDF3.

other standard names suggested are:

  experiment_id, source, forcing, experiment, model, institution

which would involve clarifying what they mean in this context, and try to answer jeremy's question:

> what you do to maintain traceability back to the original model experiments.

is there someone who is willing to take this on and marshall this through the process?