⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for echam5-hammoz (radiation)

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:15:19 +0100

Dear Heinke,

Please find below my comments on the names concerning optical properties
and radiation.

> forcing
> **********
> toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
> toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
> toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
> surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
> surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
> toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
all ok

> toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
> surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
> surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
the last 3 for ambient or dry aerosol?

> rad the units are dimensionless
> *********************************
> Also, wet/dry distinguish between soluble and insoluble particles
> which can uptake or not ambient water. So the definition
> wet_aerosol_ambient is maybe redundant, as ambient aerosol means
> aerosol that has taken up ambient water through hygroscopic growth.

'Ambient aerosol' in CF means aerosol in the ambient atmosphere, that
has taken up water according to the Koehler equation, i.e. the particle
and environmental conditions.
'Dry aerosol' means without water.
'Wet aerosol' should not be used in CF
I have corrected all names below that were incorrect in this manner.

I have also delete the word 'particle'.

> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
ok

> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_dust_in_ambient_aerosol
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_particulate_organic_matter_in_ambient_aerosol
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_in_ambient_aerosol
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_seasalt_in_ambient_aerosol
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_water_in_ambient_aerosol
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_black_carbon_in_ambient_aerosol
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_in_ambient_aerosol

all above: delete the _in_ it should be
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_X_ambient_aerosol

> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
ok

> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_in_ambient_aerosol
delete the _in_ as above

>atmosphere_accumulation_mode_dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_optical_thickness
why did you change the structure? it should be
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_X_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_mode_ambient_aerosol

>atmosphere_accumulation_mode_wet_aerosol_particle_ambient_optical_thickness
>atmosphere_coarse_mode_dry_aerosol_ambient_optical_thickness
>atmosphere_coarse_mode_wet_aerosol_ambient_optical_thickness
a>atmosphere_aitken_mode_dry_aerosol_ambient_optical_thickness
>atmosphere_aitken_mode_wet_aerosol_ambient_optical_thickness
all structures incorrect, do not use "wet" but "ambient"
change to
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_mode_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_mode_dry_aerosol
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_mode_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_mode_dry_aerosol
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_mode_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_mode_dry_aerosol

>atmosphere_accumulation_mode_dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness
>atmosphere_accumulation_mode_wet_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness
> coarse_mode_dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness
> coarse_mode_wet_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness
> aitken_mode_dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness
> aitken_mode_wet_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness
The structure of these should be corrected as above.

Discussion on the vague definition of these modes:
Use of scalar coordinate: For PM10 we agreed on the explicitly defining
a name for it, as Jonathan wrote in his email from 18/11. If I remember
correctly the previous discussion, we said that this would only be done
for very common names, otherwise scalar coordinates would be used. The
modes you are mentioning are indeed very common names, so a
standard-name should be defined.

I think it is however impossible to prescribe the definition in CF as
people use different limits in their model. Would it be possible to
request the exact definition in the comment of this name?

>atmosphere_aerosol_extinction_cross_section_per_particle
>atmosphere_aerosol_extinction_cross_section_per_particle_of_atmosphere_layer

Why per particle? I guess in a model you would have this quantity for
the average of particles in a grid box. If it refers to a single
particle or to the whole population cannot be part of the standard_name
but must be defined as a cell measure.
I do not understand you layer names.
What would be the differenct to this name?
atmosphere_extinction_optical_thickness_of_atmospheric_layer_due_to_ambient_aerosol,

(in this case the layer is needed as the name refers to the vertical
length of a layer, or grid box height, but I am not sure, Jonathan what
do you think?)

> aerosol_asymmetry_parameter_of_atmosphere_layer
> aerosol_asymmetry_parameter
what is the difference? do not understand you layer-variables. and why
not in_atmospheric_layer?

> atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part
> aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part_of_atmosphere_layer
> atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index_real_part
> aerosol_refractive_index_real_part_of_atmosphere_layer
> atmosphere_aerosol_single_scattering_albedo
> aerosol_single_scattering_albedo_of_atmosphere_layer

Again, I do not understand the layer variables, and then they should be
constructed at the other variables, e.g.
atmosphere_layer_aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part

I think it would be important to distinguish between dry and ambient
aerosol? do not understand the layer-variables

Best wishes
Christiane

Christiane Textor
Unite Mixte de Recherche CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
LSCE/IPSL, CEA Saclay, Orme des Merisiers,
Bat. 701, Piece 3b, Point Courrier 129
F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex
FRANCE
mailto: christiane.textor at lsce.ipsl.fr
Tel ++33 1 69 08 34 07 Fax ++33 1 69 08 77 16
GEOmon scientific coordinator http://www.geomon.eu