⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for echam5-hammoz (radiation)

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:16:59 +0100

Hello again,

Sorry, one more remark:
all optical properties need the dry/ambient qualifier, also asymmetry
parameter, extinctions.

Christiane

Christiane Textor schrieb:
> Dear Heinke,
>
> Please find below my comments on the names concerning optical properties
> and radiation.
>
>> forcing
>> **********
>> toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
>> toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
>> toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
>> surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
>> surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
>> toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
> all ok
>
>> toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
>> surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
>> surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
> the last 3 for ambient or dry aerosol?
>

>> rad the units are dimensionless
>> *********************************
>> Also, wet/dry distinguish between soluble and insoluble particles
>> which can uptake or not ambient water. So the definition
>> wet_aerosol_ambient is maybe redundant, as ambient aerosol means
>> aerosol that has taken up ambient water through hygroscopic growth.
>
> 'Ambient aerosol' in CF means aerosol in the ambient atmosphere, that
> has taken up water according to the Koehler equation, i.e. the particle
> and environmental conditions.
> 'Dry aerosol' means without water.
> 'Wet aerosol' should not be used in CF
> I have corrected all names below that were incorrect in this manner.
>
> I have also delete the word 'particle'.
>
>> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
>> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
> ok
>
>> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_dust_in_ambient_aerosol
>> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_particulate_organic_matter_in_ambient_aerosol
>>
>> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_in_ambient_aerosol
>> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_seasalt_in_ambient_aerosol
>> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_water_in_ambient_aerosol
>> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_black_carbon_in_ambient_aerosol
>>
>> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_in_ambient_aerosol
>
> all above: delete the _in_ it should be
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_X_ambient_aerosol
>
>> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
> ok
>
>> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_in_ambient_aerosol
> delete the _in_ as above
>>
>> atmosphere_accumulation_mode_dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_optical_thickness
>>
> why did you change the structure? it should be
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_X_ambient_aerosol
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_mode_ambient_aerosol
>
>> atmosphere_accumulation_mode_wet_aerosol_particle_ambient_optical_thickness
>>
>> atmosphere_coarse_mode_dry_aerosol_ambient_optical_thickness
> [...]

Christiane Textor
Unite Mixte de Recherche CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
LSCE/IPSL, CEA Saclay, Orme des Merisiers,
Bat. 701, Piece 3b, Point Courrier 129
F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex
FRANCE
mailto: christiane.textor at lsce.ipsl.fr
Tel ++33 1 69 08 34 07 Fax ++33 1 69 08 77 16
GEOmon scientific coordinator http://www.geomon.eu