⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for echam5-hammoz (radiation)

From: Heinke Hoeck <heinke.hoeck>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:50:55 +0100

Dear Christiane, Jonathan, Luca and all

Same precedure as tendency email.

forcing
**********
toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky

toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol
surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol

>the last 3 for ambient or dry aerosol?
ambient

rad the units are dimensionless
*********************************
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_dust_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_particulate_organic_matter_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_seasalt_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_water_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_black_carbon_ambient_aerosol

_in_ deleted

atmosphere_optical_thickness (mode)
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_mode_ambient_aerosol
or
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_mode_dry_aerosol
or
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_mode_ambient_aerosol
or
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_mode_dry_aerosol
or
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_mode_ambient_aerosol
or
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_mode_dry_aerosol
or
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness (mode)
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_mode_ambient_aerosol
or
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_mode_dry_aerosol
or
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_mode_ambient_aerosol
or
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_mode_dry_aerosol
or
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_mode_ambient_aerosol
or
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_mode_dry_aerosol
or
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol

>Discussion on the vague definition of these modes:
>Use of scalar coordinate: For PM10 we agreed on the explicitly defining
>a name for it, as Jonathan wrote in his email from 18/11. If I remember
>correctly the previous discussion, we said that this would only be done
>for very common names, otherwise scalar coordinates would be used. The
>modes you are mentioning are indeed very common names, so a
>standard-name should be defined.

>I think it is however impossible to prescribe the definition in CF as
>people use different limits in their model. Would it be possible to
>request the exact definition in the comment of this name? under discussion

> atmosphere_aerosol_extinction_cross_section_per_particle

>Why per particle? I guess in a model you would have this quantity for
>the average of particles in a grid box. If it refers to a single
>particle or to the whole population cannot be part of the standard_name
>but must be defined as a cell measure.

Luca should comment this.

>> aerosol_asymmetry_parameter
>> atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part
>> atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index_real_part
>> atmosphere_aerosol_single_scattering_albedo

>I think it would be important to distinguish between dry and ambient
>aerosol?

Luca should comment this.

list of _of_atmosphere_layer which could be deleted. (see Jonathan's email):
aerosol_asymmetry_parameter_of_atmosphere_layer
aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part_of_atmosphere_layer
aerosol_refractive_index_real_part_of_atmosphere_layer
aerosol_single_scattering_albedo_of_atmosphere_layer
atmosphere_aerosol_extinction_cross_section_per_particle_of_atmosphere_layer

Best wishes
Heinke