⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for echam5-hammoz (radiation)

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 23:42:50 +0100

Dear Heinke,

I have received some comments from Stefan Kinne (SK) on these names,
that I am forwarding here to the list. In addition, the question of how
to use the medium is also of importance for these names.

In addition, there are quite some "or" alternatives in your list below,
which would need to receive comments.

Best regards,
Christiane

Heinke Hoeck a ?crit :
> Dear Christiane, Jonathan, Luca and all
>
> Same precedure as tendency email.
>
> forcing
> **********

aerosol forcing should be always ambient (I do not see the point for
'dry forcing')

I hope you also have "_dailyaverage_" next to the "_instantaneous_" for
shortwave forcing

I also hope you have a name for "all-sky" opposite to "clear-sky"

also the term of atmospheric forcing (atmospheric divergence) should be
included

> toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_AMBIENT_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
> toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_AMBIENT_aerosol
> surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_AMBIENT_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
> surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_AMBIENT_aerosol
> toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_AMBIENT_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
>
> toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol
> surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
> surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol
>

> rad the units are dimensionless
> *********************************
W/m2 (unitless?)

> [...]
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>

> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_mode_ambient_aerosol
> or
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_mode_dry_aerosol
> or
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_mode_ambient_aerosol
> or
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_mode_dry_aerosol
> or
> atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>

> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness (mode)
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_mode_ambient_aerosol
> or
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_mode_dry_aerosol
> or
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_accumulation_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>

> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_mode_ambient_aerosol
> or
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_mode_dry_aerosol
> or
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_coarse_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>

> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_mode_ambient_aerosol
> or
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_soluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_mode_dry_aerosol
> or
> atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_aitken_insoluble_mode_ambient_aerosol
>

>> Discussion on the vague definition of these modes:
>> Use of scalar coordinate: For PM10 we agreed on the explicitly defining
>> a name for it, as Jonathan wrote in his email from 18/11. If I remember
>> correctly the previous discussion, we said that this would only be done
>> for very common names, otherwise scalar coordinates would be used. The
>> modes you are mentioning are indeed very common names, so a
>> standard-name should be defined.
>
>> I think it is however impossible to prescribe the definition in CF as
>> people use different limits in their model. Would it be possible to
>> request the exact definition in the comment of this name? under discussion
>
>> atmosphere_aerosol_extinction_cross_section_per_particle
>
>> Why per particle? I guess in a model you would have this quantity for
>> the average of particles in a grid box. If it refers to a single
>> particle or to the whole population cannot be part of the standard_name

>>> atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part
>>> atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index_real_part
>>> atmosphere_aerosol_single_scattering_albedo
>
>> I think it would be important to distinguish between dry and ambient
>> aerosol?
>
> Luca should comment this.
>
> list of _of_atmosphere_layer which could be deleted. (see Jonathan's email):
> aerosol_asymmetry_parameter_of_atmosphere_layer
> aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part_of_atmosphere_layer
> aerosol_refractive_index_real_part_of_atmosphere_layer
> aerosol_single_scattering_albedo_of_atmosphere_layer
> atmosphere_aerosol_extinction_cross_section_per_particle_of_atmosphere_layer
>

> Best wishes
> Heinke

Christiane Textor
Unite Mixte de Recherche CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
LSCE/IPSL laboratoire CEA/CNRS/UVSQ
Saclay, Orme des Merisiers,
Bat. 701, Piece 3b, Point Courrier 129
F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex
FRANCE
mailto: christiane.textor at lsce.ipsl.fr
Tel ++33 1 69 08 34 07 Fax ++33 1 69 08 77 16
GEOmon scientific coordinator http://www.geomon.eu