⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for echam5-hammoz model (aerosol-chemistry-climate)

From: Heinke Hoeck <heinke.hoeck>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:10:44 +0100

Dear Christiane and Jonathan ...,

I overworked my proposal and tried to answer your question with Luca's help.

I have changed the position of 'expressed as' without comments. It
should belong
to the species. Does everyone agree?

atmosphere_number_content_of_X (new physical parameter)
******************************
atmosphere_number_content_of_cloud_droplet
atmosphere_number_content_of_ice_crystal
atmosphere_number_content_of_aerosol_particle

This was Jonathan's proposal.
Christiane talked about _in_air. But I think that does not fit.
For example _in_cloud is not in_air. Is that right, Christiane?

I would eliminate the medium 'atmosphere_' in the standard name,
but I know this is not the status quo. See my answer to Karl's proposal.

atmosphere_mass_content_of
***************************
atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol
atmosphere_mass_content_of_dust_dry_aerosol
atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol
atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_sulfur
atmosphere_mass_content_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol
atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_in_ambient_aerosol

_due_to_gravitational_settling (old _due_to_sedimentation)
******************
Jonathan proposed:
_due_to_gravitational_settling

We agree.

_due_turbulent_deposition (old _due_to_impact_and_turbulent_deposition)
***************************************
Christiane proposed:
I would summarize the impact under turbulent and just say
_turbulent_depostion, because it applies to particles moving in
turbulent flow.

We agree.

Christiane agreed:
turbulent_dep. + sedimentation = dry_dep

_due_to_dry_deposition
**********************
tendency_of_atmosphere_content_of_aerosol_particle_number_due_to_dry_deposition
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_sulfur_due_to_dry_deposition

_due_to_emission
****************
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol_due_to_emission
Christiane said this is equal to:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_primary_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol_due_to_emission
We agree.

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dry_aerosol_sulfur_expressed_as_sulfur_due_to_emission
(This is the total emission of Sulfur species (SO2+SO4+DMS) expressed in
kg(S))

Christiane asked:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfur_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_sulfur_due_to_emission
and can also be H2S and COS?
Yes, HAMMOZ does not have H2S and COS. So in our case sulfur emissions
are only sum of
SO2(gas),H2SO4(gas),SO4(aerosol),DMS(gas)

_due_to_gravitational_settling (old _due_to_sedimentation)
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_due_to_gravitational_settling
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dust_dry_aerosol_due_to_gravitational_settling
tendency_of_atmosphere_content_of_aerosol_particle_number_due_to_gravitational_settling
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol_due_to_gravitational_settling
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_sulfur_due_to_gravitational_settling
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol_due_to_gravitational_settling

_due_to_wet_deposition
**********************
tendency_of_atmosphere_content_of_aerosol_particle_number_due_to_wet_deposition
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_sulfur_due_to_wet_deposition

Christiane said: This should be:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfur_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_sulfur_due_to_wet_deposition
(sulfate=sulfur?)
We would say sulfate, because it is deposition of sulfate aerosol and
not other sulfuric species.
Christiane why do you think 'sulfur' is better. You probably have good
reasons for this?

_due_to_turbulent_deposition (old _due_to_impact_and_turbulent_deposition)
***************************************
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_due_to_turbulent_deposition
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dust_dry_aerosol_due_to_turbulent_deposition
tendency_of_atmosphere_content_of_aerosol_particle_number_due_turbulent_deposition
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol_due_to_turbulent_deposition
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_sulfur_due_to_turbulent_deposition
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol_due_to_turbulent_deposition

_in_air
*******
mass_fraction_of_formaldehyde_in_air
mass_fraction_of_methyl_hydroperoxide_in_air
mass_fraction_of_carbon_monoxide_in_air
mass_fraction_of_hydrogen_peroxide_in_air
mass_fraction_of_sulfuric_acid_in_air
mass_fraction_of_nitric_acid_in_air
mass_fraction_of_hydroperoxyl_in_air
mass_fraction_of_dinitrogen_pentoxide_in_air
mass_fraction_of_nitrogen_monoxide_in_air
mass_fraction_of_nitrogen_dioxide_in_air
mass_fraction_of_hydroxide_in_air

_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer
***************************
mass_fraction_of_ozone_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer
mass_fraction_of_nitrogen_dioxide_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer
mass_fraction_of_nitrogen_monoxide_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer
mass_fraction_of_carbon_monoxide_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer
mass_fraction_of_sulfur_dioxide_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer

mass_concentration_of_pm2p5_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer
mass_concentration_of_pm1_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer
mass_concentration_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_of_atmosphere_layer
mass_concentration_of_dust_dry_aerosol_of_atmosphere_layer
mass_concentration_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol_of_atmosphere_layer
mass_concentration_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_of_atmosphere_layer
mass_concentration_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol_of_atmosphere_layer

Christiane asked:
I do not understand the sense of these names? why layer?
atSurfaceLayer??
atSurfaceLayer was a comment. Sorry for that.

Why do you change the unit from kg to ug?
We changed the units to micrograms/m3 because these fields are hourly
averaged values of PM and PM
components which will be tipically compared to measurements which are
normally expressed in micrograms/m3.
In the same dataset there is anyway the variable rhoam1, which is air
denisty [kg/m3] which can be
used to convert back aerosol concentration to mass mixing ration
[kg/kg]. If micrograms is not accepted
we can use kg/m3, but we should correct the variables in the data set.
I would like to discuss micrograms. I was not able to find it in
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits-1/udunits.txt ?
Is it in udunits-2. Is a link available? If micrograms is part of it we
can use kg for the standard name list. If not
we should discuss this.

forcing
**********
toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol
surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol_assuming_clear_sky
surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_aerosol

Christiane said:
I do not think that _total_ is needed, as it is not used in other names that
are the sum of different components.
We agree.

rad the units are dimensionless
*********************************
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_dust_in_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_particulate_organic_matter_in_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_in_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_seasalt_in_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_water_in_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_black_carbon_in_ambient_aerosol

coarse_mode_dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness
coarse_mode_wet_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness
aitken_mode_dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness
aitken_mode_wet_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness

Christiane said:
There is not exact definition for Aitken, Coarse mode particles, hence I
would suggest to avoid these names in CF.

We agree that there isn't clear definition for these aerosol classes.
Alternative
could be to give the exact distribution properties in the CF name, for
example coarse
mode can be described as particles with number median radius greater
than 0.5 micrometers.

Could we use a scalar coordinate variable for the radius?

aerosol_asymmetry_parameter_of_atmosphere_layer
aerosol_asymmetry_parameter

Christianes question was:
> aerosol_asymmetry_parameter_at_atmosphere_layer
> at_atmosphere_layer?
Sorry, of_atmosphere_layer

atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part
aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part_of_atmosphere_layer
atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index_real_part
aerosol_refractive_index_real_part_of_atmosphere_layer
atmosphere_aerosol_single_scattering_albedo
aerosol_single_scattering_albedo_of_atmosphere_layer

atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_in_ambient_aerosol

atmosphere_accumulation_mode_dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_optical_thickness
atmosphere_accumulation_mode_wet_aerosol_particle_ambient_optical_thickness

atmosphere_coarse_mode_dry_aerosol_ambient_optical_thickness (old
atmosphere_coarse_mode_dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_optical_thickness)
atmosphere_coarse_mode_wet_aerosol_ambient_optical_thickness (")
atmosphere_aitken_mode_dry_aerosol_ambient_optical_thickness (")
atmosphere_aitken_mode_wet_aerosol_ambient_optical_thickness (")

Christiane asked:
Why aerosol_particle and not _aerosol_ ?
What is a wet/dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_aerosol?
Luca answered:
Yes, now I realize we used _particle_ only for this group of variables.
We can omit 'particle'.
Also, wet/dry distinguish between soluble and insoluble particles which
can uptake or not ambient
water. So the definition wet_aerosol_ambient is maybe redundant, as
ambient aerosol means aerosol
that has taken up ambient water through hygroscopic growth.

atmosphere_accumulation_mode_dry_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness
atmosphere_accumulation_mode_wet_aerosol_particle_ambient_absorption_optical_thickness

atmosphere_aerosol_extinction_cross_section_per_particle
atmosphere_aerosol_extinction_cross_section_per_particle_of_atmosphere_layer

Best wishes
Heinke