⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Seeking example program for storing surface obs in CF convention

From: Don Morton <donaldjmorton>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 17:05:50 +0000

Hello,

I apologize if this question is too elementary, or not "directly" applicable
to this list, but I've Googled and searched around a bit, and this seems
like my best avenue.

I am interested in taking lots of surface obs (currently in flat ASCII files -
one file per station, records sorted by obs time) and putting them in a
netCDF format. I'd also like to do this only once, and it appears that maybe
CF is the convention I should adhere to.

I'm wondering if there are example scripts or programs out there that
demonstrate
the writing of time series of surface obs (e.g. METARs) into a CF-compliant
netCDF file. I don't need any hand-holding (I hope); I've used netCDF API in
Fortran before (for simple stuff), and am just hoping I can find some example
that shows how the variables are written into the file, what
atrributes are attached,
etc. I've seen the CF 1.0 document, but just feel like an example would be so
much more helpful.

Thanks for any help,

Don Morton
--