⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Time for 1.0 revision xxx or version 1.1 ?

From: Ethan Davis <edavis>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:41:50 -0600

The proposed rules for changes says:

> If the change is accepted, the standard document should be updated, the CF
> convention version number incremented, and the conformance document updated.

But nothing about the actual version number scheme. There has been some
discussion on the list but I'm wondering if it would be worth spelling
out some version numbering policy in the change rules. Perhaps a
paragraph following the above that looks something like:

    Version numbering follows a standard <major>.<minor>[.<maintenance>]
    format. Only the major and minor version numbers are included in the
    "Conventions" global attribute value, "CF-<major>.<minor>". The
    maintenance version number is incremented for changes that will not
    affect software or format. The minor version number is incremented
    for changes that are backward compatible (i.e., an extension to the
    existing convention). The major version number is incremented for
    any changes that would break existing software or cause existing
    datasets to be invalid.

Ethan