⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Seeking example program for storing surface obs in CF convention

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:20:50 -0600

Hi Don:

My own opinion is that CF is not currently adequate for writing observational data to NetCDF. The basic limitation in section 5.4 is that

  float humidity(time,pressure,station)
  float pressure(pressure);
  double time(time);

requires the same number and values of the time and pressure coordinates at each station.

We've made up some conventions at Unidata, and have been testing them. You can see it at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/UnidataObsConvention.html

I plan to submit to CF as a proposal, but I havent had time to revise it, or write it up as a proposal. Comments by anyone would be welcome. If there were a few others wanting to see this through, perhaps its time to do so.

John