⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name for aerosol single scattering albedo

From: Bodas-Salcedo, Alejandro <alejandro.bodas>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:37:09 +0000

Dear Markus,

Thanks for your comment. I'm happy with the change to a population of particles. As you say, it's a more practical definition. I find the first sentence a bit difficult, though. What about the following?

Definition: Fraction of radiation in an incident light beam scattered by the particles of an aerosol reference volume as a function of wavelength. It is the ratio of the scattering and the extinction coefficients of the aerosol particles in the reference volume. A coordinate of radiation_wavelength or radiation_frequency should be included to specify either the wavelength or frequency.

Regarding the humidity state, perhaps we should follow the definition for the extinction coefficient, and use the name

single_scattering_albedo_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles

My only reservation is that this seems to refer to the optical properties of aerosols plus the molecular atmosphere, not only aerosols.

Regards,

Alejandro