⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name for aerosol single scattering albedo

From: Markus Fiebig <Markus.Fiebig>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 12:49:20 +0000

Dear Alejandro,

after reading your mail, I was surprised to realise that
aerosol_single_scattering_albedo in fact hadn't been defined yet.

However, the definition you propose seems to me rather unusual. You define the
single scattering albedo with respect to a single particle as ratio of
cross-sections, i.e. as truly microscale property. From the multitude of
particles contained in an aerosol, how do you determine which particle you refer to?

>From my experience, it's more usual to define the single scattering albedo as
ratio of scattering and extinction coefficient of a particle population, i.e. an
effective property for the ensemble of particles contained in the aerosol. How
about this:

Definition: Fraction of radiation in an incident light beam interacting with the
particles of an aerosol reference volume and scattered by these particles as a
function of wavelength. It is the ratio of the scattering and the extinction
coefficients of the aerosol particles in the reference volume. A coordinate of
radiation_wavelength or radiation_frequency should be included to specify either
the wavelength or frequency.

Having said that, should we also consider to include the humidity state of the
aerosol? That would require relative_humidity as additional coordinate variable.

Best regards,
Markus

--
Dr. Markus Fiebig
Senior Scientist
e-mail: Markus.Fiebig at nilu.no
skype: markus.fiebig
P Please consider the environment before printing this email and attachments