⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_names for wind stress curl, wind stress divergence

From: Bruce Hackett <bruce.hackett>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 12:35:55 +0000 (UTC)

This is my first post to this list, so my accept my apologies if this is not the correct place for my query.

In the European Copernicus Marine Service we deliver sea wind observations from satellite scatterometry. Currently, we include the wind stress on the ocean surface in three variables, with standard_names: surface_downward_eastward_stress, surface_downward_northward_stress, magnitude_of_surface_downward_stress.

We are now adding two new variables: the wind stress divergence and the wind stress curl. I am unable to find existing standard_names that would fit, although I may well have missed something.

If there are indeed no standard_names that are appropriate, I would like to suggest the following:
divergence_of_surface_downward_stress
curl_of_surface_downward_stress

How to proceed?

Best regards,
Bruce Hackett

Bruce Hackett Senior Scientist
Norwegian Meteorological Institute (MET Norway), R & D Dept.
P.O. Box 43 - Blindern e-mail: Bruce.Hackett at met.no
N-0313 Oslo Phone: +47 22 96 33 39
NORWAY Fax: +47 22 96 33 80
Mob: +47 48 048 958