⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for ESA GHG CCI quantities

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 16:54:34 +0000

Dear Alison

In existing names we generally use "atmosphere" to indicate a property of the
atmosphere as a whole (or a large portion of it) and "in_air" to indicate a
local property within the atmosphere. We don't use both phrases at once. These
quantities can be regarded as means of local properties, I think, so just
in_air would be sufficient. If no vertical coordinate is specified, it should
apply to the entire atmosphere, but to make that clear a cell_method could be
added to record that it's a vertical mean.

----- Forwarded message from alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk -----