⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name for aerosol single scattering albedo

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 17:39:51 +0000

Dear Alejandro and Markus,

Just picking up on Alejandro's proposal. I like the suggestion of
single_scattering_albedo_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles (canonical units:1 (dimensionless)).
This is indeed consistent with the syntax of existing names. The "due_to_ambient_aersol_particles" phrase should be understood to mean that the scattering is indeed due to the particulate component of the aerosol and not the surrounding air. We have standard definition text that should make all that clear:
' "Single scattering albedo" is the fraction of radiation in an incident light beam scattered by the particles of an aerosol reference volume for a given wavelength. It is the ratio of the scattering and the extinction coefficients of the aerosol particles in the reference volume. A coordinate variable with a standard name of radiation_wavelength or radiation_frequency should be included to specify either the wavelength or frequency. "Aerosol" means the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. "Ambient_aerosol" means that the aerosol is measured or modelled at the ambient state of pressure, temperature and relative humidity that exists in its immediate environment. "Ambient aerosol particles" are aerosol particles that have taken up ambient water through hygroscopic growth. The extent of hygroscopic growth depends on the relative humidity and the composition of the particles. To specify the relative humidity and temperature at which t
he quantity described by the standard name applies, provide scalar coordinate variables with standard names of "relative_humidity" and "air_temperature". The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase.'

Alejandro, if you are happy with this then I think the name can be accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065