⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for flood simulation

From: Eizi TOYODA <toyoda>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 18:08:15 +0900

Hi Chris and all,

Now I think the word "flood_water" can refer to temporary water body on the
land surface, regardless the cause is river overflow, storm surge, or
tsunami. I've talked with a storm surge expert in JMA. He says it is okay
for him, and probably for tsunami expert.

That may not be perfect but (I hope) is a meaningful effort to combat with
creeping proliferation of names.

 - River water simulation is often done on tree-like network, not in
grids. That's probably the reason we (CF community) didn't talk much about
river water (in non-flooding state) more than runoff, which also belongs to
the land surface model.
 - I hope people (if any) are not so uncomfortable with using "sea_water"
for estuary water....

--
Best Regards,
Eizi TOYODA, Japan Meteorological Agency