⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for flood simulation

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 09:10:23 -0700

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:50 AM, Eizi TOYODA <toyoda at npd.kishou.go.jp>
wrote:

> 1. Flood water and seawater are both liquid water on top of solid earth
> surface. Some properties are common in terms of physics as you suggest.

indeed -- I somehow never notes that the standard names use "sea_water"
rather than just "water". So yes, you wouldn't want to use that for
flooding in river, etc, where it is indeed, not seawater.

though may it's time to introduce "water" names, rather than adding
"flood+water", then "river_water", then "estuary_water", etc...

But there is difference in nature:

> - The sea has always seawater in the normal state.
> Few people think about when a basin or a bay dries up.

actually, wetting-=drying in tidal areas is often a big deal, as is storm
surge, so it's not out of the question to use the same names for these.

I don't see any names with "storm" or "surge" in them -- I wonder what the
storm surge modelers use?

So there are concepts only used in flood simulation, not in oceanography.
> It might look awkward or weird if we use sea_water instead of flood_water:

yes, because it's not, in fact sea water generally...

> 6) sea_water_arrival_time
> 7) time_at_maximum_sea_water_depth
> 8) time_when_sea_water_goes_below_threshold
> 9) time_span_with_sea_water_depth_above_threshold
>
> 2. Current standard name table includes names including land_ice,
> surface_snow, surface_snow_and_ice, all are layer made of H2O temporarily
> on top of solid earth. For me it is not unnatural to see flood water in
> line with them.

well, trying to keep name proliferation down, but yes, clearly the
sea_water names are not appropriate.

> 3. Current standard name table also includes quantities related to runoff,
> which could be substituted by sea water velocity. It looks like the CF
> community in the past did not try to convert the terminology of
> hydrologists into that of oceanography.

Indeed -- it started with climate modeling, and extended to general
oceanographic and meteorological modeling, but hydrology is new.

I'd rather see some more cross-discipline names, but adding a set for
hydrological modeling is a fine idea as well.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer