⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for flood simulation

From: Eizi TOYODA <toyoda>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 17:50:21 +0900

Hi,

Thanks for consideration and an idea.

1. Flood water and seawater are both liquid water on top of solid earth
surface. Some properties are common in terms of physics as you suggest.
But there is difference in nature:

 - The sea has always seawater in the normal state.
    Few people think about when a basin or a bay dries up.
 - There is no flood water in the normal state.
    Hydrologists' always think about when it appears and disappears.

So there are concepts only used in flood simulation, not in oceanography.
It might look awkward or weird if we use sea_water instead of flood_water:

6) sea_water_arrival_time
7) time_at_maximum_sea_water_depth
8) time_when_sea_water_goes_below_threshold
9) time_span_with_sea_water_depth_above_threshold

2. Current standard name table includes names including land_ice,
surface_snow, surface_snow_and_ice, all are layer made of H2O temporarily
on top of solid earth. For me it is not unnatural to see flood water in
line with them.

3. Current standard name table also includes quantities related to runoff,
which could be substituted by sea water velocity. It looks like the CF
community in the past did not try to convert the terminology of
hydrologists into that of oceanography.

Regards,
Eizi TOYODA, Japan Meteorological Agency

Best Regards,
--
Eiji (aka Eizi) TOYODA
http://www.google.com/profiles/toyoda.eizi