⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for flood simulation

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:11:28 -0700

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 2:08 AM, Eizi TOYODA <toyoda at npd.kishou.go.jp>
wrote:

> Now I think the word "flood_water" can refer to temporary water body on
> the land surface, regardless the cause is river overflow, storm surge, or
> tsunami. I've talked with a storm surge expert in JMA. He says it is okay
> for him, and probably for tsunami expert.

Makes sense to me.

 - I hope people (if any) are not so uncomfortable with using "sea_water"
> for estuary water....

I'd probably rather have just "water" or "surface_water" (to distinguish
from ground water) -- but that's what we have now, so might as well stick
with it.

-Chris

> --
> Best Regards,
> Eizi TOYODA, Japan Meteorological Agency
> Assoc Member, WMO/CBS/IPET-DRMM
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Eiji (aka Eizi) TOYODA
> http://www.google.com/profiles/toyoda.eizi
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 1:10 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:50 AM, Eizi TOYODA <toyoda at npd.kishou.go.jp>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Flood water and seawater are both liquid water on top of solid earth
>>> surface. Some properties are common in terms of physics as you suggest.
>>>

>> indeed -- I somehow never notes that the standard names use "sea_water"
>> rather than just "water". So yes, you wouldn't want to use that for
>> flooding in river, etc, where it is indeed, not seawater.
>>
>> though may it's time to introduce "water" names, rather than adding
>> "flood+water", then "river_water", then "estuary_water", etc...
>>
>> But there is difference in nature:
>>>
>>> - The sea has always seawater in the normal state.
>>> Few people think about when a basin or a bay dries up.
>>>

>> actually, wetting-=drying in tidal areas is often a big deal, as is storm
>> surge, so it's not out of the question to use the same names for these.
>>
>> I don't see any names with "storm" or "surge" in them -- I wonder what
>> the storm surge modelers use?
>>
>> So there are concepts only used in flood simulation, not in
>>> oceanography. It might look awkward or weird if we use sea_water instead
>>> of flood_water:
>>>

>> yes, because it's not, in fact sea water generally...
>>

>>> 6) sea_water_arrival_time
>>> 7) time_at_maximum_sea_water_depth
>>> 8) time_when_sea_water_goes_below_threshold

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov