⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for flood simulation

From: Eizi TOYODA <toyoda.eizi>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 17:22:53 +0900

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks a lot for your useful comments.

>> 5) ground_altitude

I'm happy with your suggested ground_level_altitude.

>> 1) flood_depth

I'd use flood_water_thickness.

Now the river experts I'm working with understood the CF definition of
"depth", so they are flexible using other words.
Your second suggestion height_of_flood_water_surface_above_ground_level is
no problem at all, but a bit long for beginners of CF.

>> 6) flood_arrival_time
>> 7) time_at_maximum_flood_depth
>> 8) time_when_flood_water_goes_below_threshold
>> 9) time_span_with_flood_depth_above_threshold

I'm accepting your suggestions on words:

6) time_when_flood_water_rises_above_threshold
7) time_of_maximum_flood_depth
8) time_when_flood_water_falls_below_threshold
9) time_duration_with_flood_water_above_threshold

I wonder perhaps "time_duration" could be "duration", looking at
duration_of_sunshine.

Regarding 6), our planned data is only for the case of threshold=zero, but
it is no problem to generalize the concept to be symmetric with the
"falls_below" counterpart.

Regarding "duration_of_flood", thank you for considering shorthand, but I'd
keep the word "threshold" for all three variables that needs threshold
value.

>> 10) hazard_area_flags
>>
>> The hazard_area_flags is a set of flags representing
>> different types of hazards for a given point in space.
>
> This seems rather vague to me. Can you spell out what sort of hazard they
are?
> Also, I think they should probably be string-valued, and not mention
"flag"
> in the standard name. The flag attributes are a way of encoding
string-valued
> data variables.

I changed the mind to withdraw that name.

Last year I thought it necessary, since (I thought) the online CF checker
made warnings if flag variables do not have standard name, but today it
doesn't make such message.

Just for your info, I'm thinking of this sort of usage:

    byte hzone(lat, lon);
      hzone:valid_min = 0b;
      hzone:valid_max = 3b;
      hzone:flag_masks = 1b, 2b;
      hzone:flag_meanings = "swept_away undermined";

The simulation predicts various independent events: the flood water may
swipe buildings away, and/or undermine the ground under the buildings. If
we try to describe the flag variable i.e. whole set of events, the
description tends to be too vague, or if we list events it would be too
specific to this particular simulation. Now I don't believe that is
something to occupy resource of the CF community.

Best Regards,
Eizi TOYODA

P.S. for anyone interested, updated description and sample CDL are
available at:
  desc - https://gist.github.com/etoyoda/efb7ceeb010e71d0105c
  CDL - https://gist.github.com/etoyoda/1ad78c1df01126c3e731

Best Regards,