⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical datums (again)

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:59:21 +0000

Dear Rich

Thanks for keeping this going.

> In CF, we have some of these parameters of the vertical coordinate
> system specified with the "units" and "positive" attributes. And we
> already have "add_offset" that could be used for the vertical shift.
>
> So that just leaves the geoid-based "Vertical Datum" or spheroid-based
> "Datum", where the spheroid can be specified with parameters.

In the agreed trac ticket 80
https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/80
we added several more attributes to grid mapping to describe reference
surfaces in ways analogous to CRS WKT. We already have attributes to name
and specify the reference ellipsoid (spheroid). As far as I can see, we need
only to add an attribute of geoid_name to Appendix F to identify the geoid.
Would that meet your requirement? Earlier discussions implied that CRS WKT
does not have a way to name the geoid specifically.