⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical datums (again)

From: Signell, Richard <rsignell>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 08:12:09 -0400

Folks,

I'd like to see if we can move forward on concrete proposal for how to
handle vertical coordinate systems. Maybe we could mimic how ESRI,
probably the largest vendor of geospatial software does it:
(lifted from http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//003r00000015000000)

---------------------------------------begin esri
text---------------------------
A gravity-related VCS will include a vertical datum as part of its
definition. An example is shown below:

VERTCS["National_Geodetic_Vertical_Datum_1929",VDATUM["NGVD_1929"],PARAMETER["Vertical_Shift",0.0],PARAMETER["Direction",1.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]

A spheroidal VCS defines heights that are referenced to a spheroid of
a geographic coordinate system. A Global Positioning System (GPS) unit
natively reports heights relative to the World Geodetic System of 1984
(WGS84) ellipsoid. An onboard geoid model (discussed below) in the GPS
unit converts the ellipsoidal heights to gravity-related elevations. A
spheroidal height is a geometry quantity and does not have a physical
sense, as a geographic coordinate system's spheroid may fall above or
below the actual earth surface. Spheroidal heights for an area may not
reflect movement due to gravity, that is, the flow of water. Water can
run uphill when working with spheroidal heights.

A VCS with heights or depths that are referenced to the spheroid will
include a datum, rather than a vertical datum, definition. An example
is shown below:

VERTCS["WGS_1984",DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PARAMETER["Vertical_Shift",0.0],PARAMETER["Direction",1.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]

In CF, we have some of these parameters of the vertical coordinate
system specified with the "units" and "positive" attributes. And we
already have "add_offset" that could be used for the vertical shift.

So that just leaves the geoid-based "Vertical Datum" or spheroid-based
"Datum", where the spheroid can be specified with parameters.

Jonathan, would this address your concerns?

Thanks,
Rich