⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical datums (again)

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:58:18 -0400

Hi.

Regarding how ESRI represents vertical CRSs:

When ESRI specifies a particular vertical datum and doesn?t specify the ellipsoid, it is because the specified vertical datum specifies the ellipsoid. The fully realized definition still contains a specification of the ellipsoid that the geoid heights were measured against. I don?t think we should overload the add_offset attribute to do anything besides its meaning for rescaling.

I?ll write more on this later, but there?s my quick $0.02 worth.

Grace and peace,

Jim

Visit us on
Facebook Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC
North Carolina State University
NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org