⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical datums (again)

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 13:10:27 -0800

Simple terms like height, depth, and altitude are great for onboarding -- though complicated usage ('geoid must always be defined in the grid_mapping'), lessens the onboarding benefit. And if they are ambiguous, the long-term usability is affected. (See: sea_surface_temperature.)

I want a consistent approach that starts simple -- e.g., 'altitude' is an alias for geodetic distance above geoid, and if no particular geoid is specified, a default is assumed, perhaps carrying along explicit assumptions about the possible error bounds.

The basic concepts discussed so far seem to break down as:
   distance_[above | below]_[surface | geoid | ellipsoid | center], # 'distance' avoids loaded terms altitude, depth, etc.
with the possibility of a prefix like
  orthometric | geodetic | geocentric | geometric
and the need or possibility to specify additional parameters for at least some of these choices (ex: surface may default to the bottom of the atmosphere, but could be defined using any of the Sample Dimensions in the MetOcean graphic [1]).

> It would be really useful if anyone could explain how the geoid is identified in CRS WKT.

Do you mean 'identified' or 'specified'? From Dru Smith's 1998 paper [2] -- it didn't look like an 'identifier' would be sufficient any time soon, or do we already have controlled terms for the various 'geoid candidates' that are out there? (Note for non-experts like me: I found that Wikipedia's simple and specific definitions [3] bypass the problem of defining where 'the geoid' actually is.) It's hard to imagine that CF users will be in a position to provide those geoidal identification or specification details, though....

John

[1] http://external.opengeospatial.org/twiki_public/MetOceanDWG/MetOceanWMSBP20120206
[2] http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PUBS_LIB/EGM96_GEOID_PAPER/egm96_geoid_paper.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoid, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_geodesy