⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical datums (again)

From: Snaith, Helen M. <h.snaith>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 08:59:49 +0000

Just a quick interjection from a primarily altimetric background.

These definitions seem to fit well with requirements for satellite altimetry measurements.

Whilst it is true that the specifics of the geoid used (model, degree and order of expansion etc) are important, simply being able to correctly identify 'sea surface height above reference ellipsoid' vs 'sea surface height above geoid' gives us fundamentally different parameters (first is approx = geoid height, second is dynamic topography)

Hence even without the details of the geoid used, the very definition is extremely important

There is a significant difference in that altitude is generally applied to the height of the satellite above the reference ellipsoid - not the geoid - so I would not like to see that alias be included.

Helen