⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to handle a forecast model with non-monotonic coordinate variables

From: Signell, Richard <rsignell>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:01:21 -0500

Jonathan,

In the very last comment in ticket #85
(https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/85) you say:

"In the "Description" column of Appendix A, in the entries for
_FillValue andmissing_value, replace "Not allowed for coordinate data
except in the case of auxiliary coordinate varibles in discrete
sampling geometries." with "Allowed for auxiliary coordinate variables
but not allowed for coordinate variables."

This would seem to allow missing values in auxilliary coordinates for
grid datatypes, which is what we need for the use case I presented.

We could modify this to:
"Allowed for auxiliary coordinate variables but not allowed for
coordinate variables. Missing data is only permitted in auxiliary
coordinate varirables only at points where the data variable(s)
concerned has missing data."

Thanks,
Rich