⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical datums (again)

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:50:06 +0000

Dear all

Thank you for clarifications and further information.

We used "altitude" for "height above geoid" because that's what it most
commonly means, I think. However, it's unclear. To avoid confusion, we could
rename altitude as height_above_geoid, using aliases. There are 14 standard
names which use the word altitude. Would that be worth doing?

Similarly, we could rename plain "height" as height_above_surface. There are
about 5 standard names which would be affected. Likewise (and relating also to
another thread), we could rename plain "depth" as depth_below_surface. There
are about 14 standard names using this word in that sense. Is this worthwhile,
or shall we continue with short words and rely on the definitions? Opinions
would be welcome.

It would be really useful if anyone could explain how the geoid is identified
in CRS WKT.