⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Warming up old stuff - 4 (emissions)

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:11:41 -0700

Hi All,

There are endless ways to slice, dice, and combine emission categories. In practice, Martin's proposal is about as good as it gets, and although there is the theoretical possibility for massive numbers of std_names, I think in practice it will be large but manageable.

The most important thing with emissions is to know clearly what is and isn't included, and these descriptions are better than others I have had to work with.

I therefore support these std_names, with one recommendation:

One common source of confusion for emissions is what the mass refers to. It is common to find emissions quantified by the 'main' element rather than the whole molecule (eg emissions of carbon rather than carbon dioxide). To avoid such confusion, I recommend we add a sentence to each description saying 'The mass is the total mass of the molecules'.

Note that if people want to specify the emissions by an element mass only, then we already have a natural way to extend these std_names using '_expressed_as_'.

Best wishes,

     Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.