⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question on WKT representation of CRS

From: TOYODA Eizi <toyoda>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 17:50:53 +0900

Dear Heiko,

I'm afraid I don't think the datum shift is something we can self-describe
in ~ 1 m precision by a handy set of numeric parameters. It's more messsy
thing that must be first named, not described.

Not knowing much about Norway (sorry), please find the datum shift (relative
to that of Tokyo) between Tokyo datum and WGS84 is illustrated in
URL:http://www.gsi.go.jp/common/000012836.gif for example. It's not simple
mathematical translation or rotation. Random bias is found in some regions,
due to distortion of triangulation network in pre-satellite/computer era and
sometimes actual crustal movemnents. Datum shift is actually correction of
such distortions.

So it is essential to name it, such as NAD27, Tokyo, or OSGB1936. When it
is identified by name (or better by EPSG code), user can choose db-based
conversion or approximation by TOWGS84. If we have only seven numeric
parameters, it is hard to guess original name, and that is often
insufficient for even ~ 10 m precision.

Examples for those who prefer code to lengthy text:

// 1. identification (essential)
// (1) best (concise, extendable, enough computer-readable)
  grid:datum = "EPSG:4277";

// (2) better (what if other registry gets popular?)
  grid:datum_epsg_code = 4277;

// (3) hmm (some people love that, but I don't know the use of lengthy
prefix)
  grid:datum = "urn:ogc:def:datum:EPSG::4277"

// (4) worse: having concern of space-or-hyphen & upper-and-lowercase
problems
  grid:datum = "Tokyo Datum";

// (5) worst
  grid:datum = "DATUM[\"OSGB_1936\", SPHEROID[\"Airy
1830\",6377563.396,299.3249646,AUTHORITY[\"EPSG\",\"7001\"]],TOWGS84[375,-111,431,0,0,0,0],
AUTHORITY[\"EPSG\",\"6277\"]]";

// 2. approximate self-description (optional)
  grid:to_wgs84 = 375.,-111.,431.,0.,0.,0.,0.;

Regards,
Eizi