⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question on WKT representation of CRS

From: Upendra Dadi <Upendra.Dadi>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 14:32:44 -0400

Hi All,
   I agree with Eizi, using EPSG code is a good idea. High accuracy
conversion from one datum to another is not always a simple mathematical
transformation. For such transformations, one has to "know" the datum
rather than describe using a small set of parameters. In the US, one
example of a tool used for conversion between datums is NADCON which can
do transformations from NAD 27 to NAD 83. As I understand, it uses an
entire database of values underneath to achieve the transformation.

Upendra

On 10/7/2011 4:50 AM, TOYODA Eizi wrote:
> Dear Heiko,
>
> I'm afraid I don't think the datum shift is something we can
> self-describe in ~ 1 m precision by a handy set of numeric
> parameters. It's more messsy thing that must be first named, not
> described.
>
> Not knowing much about Norway (sorry), please find the datum shift
> (relative to that of Tokyo) between Tokyo datum and WGS84 is
> illustrated in URL:http://www.gsi.go.jp/common/000012836.gif for
> example. It's not simple mathematical translation or rotation.
> Random bias is found in some regions, due to distortion of
> triangulation network in pre-satellite/computer era and sometimes
> actual crustal movemnents. Datum shift is actually correction of such
> distortions.
>
> So it is essential to name it, such as NAD27, Tokyo, or OSGB1936.
> When it is identified by name (or better by EPSG code), user can
> choose db-based conversion or approximation by TOWGS84. If we have
> only seven numeric parameters, it is hard to guess original name, and
> that is often insufficient for even ~ 10 m precision.
>
> Examples for those who prefer code to lengthy text:
>
> // 1. identification (essential)
> // (1) best (concise, extendable, enough computer-readable)
> grid:datum = "EPSG:4277";
>
> // (2) better (what if other registry gets popular?)
> grid:datum_epsg_code = 4277;
>
> // (3) hmm (some people love that, but I don't know the use of
> lengthy prefix)
> grid:datum = "urn:ogc:def:datum:EPSG::4277"
>
> // (4) worse: having concern of space-or-hyphen & upper-and-lowercase
> problems
> grid:datum = "Tokyo Datum";
>
> // (5) worst
> grid:datum = "DATUM[\"OSGB_1936\", SPHEROID[\"Airy
> 1830\",6377563.396,299.3249646,AUTHORITY[\"EPSG\",\"7001\"]],TOWGS84[375,-111,431,0,0,0,0],
> AUTHORITY[\"EPSG\",\"6277\"]]";
>

> // 2. approximate self-description (optional)
> grid:to_wgs84 = 375.,-111.,431.,0.,0.,0.,0.;
>
> Regards,
> Eizi
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Heiko Klein" <Heiko.Klein at met.no>

>>> DATUM["WGS_1984",
>>> SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
>>> AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
>>> AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
>>> PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
>>> AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],