⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names

From: Tomoo Ogura <ogura>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:49:13 +0900

Dear Jonathan,

> Yes, this makes sense to me (not being an expert - thanks for explaining).
> That seems a good reason for using your word sedimentation and adding
> _of_cloud_liquid_water as you suggested - so back to what we had agreed,
> with the useful distinction between sedimentation and precipitation of
> the basis of speed, thanks to Philip.

 Thanks for this.

Dear Philip,

 Let me explain a little more about the proposal.
 I think the criteria for distinguishing the two regimes, fast-falling and
 slow-falling processes, could be whether it is related to "rain" or
 "cloud liquid water".

 Since "rain" and "cloud liquid water" have well-established definitions,
 these criteria may work for all groups interested in CF, including
 observations, GCMs, and regional modeling communities.

 If we follow the criteria, all the standard names related to
 the tendencies of cloud liquid water will use "sedimentation",
 so there should be no confusion with "precipitation".

 Best wishes,

 Tomoo