⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:08:55 -0800

Hi Tomoo,

This seems a reasonable distinction. I assume that your proposal is that the existing std_names with 'precipitation' should now be defined to exclude sedimentation of clouds and aerosols. I suspect that this is probably how people have already used them, so I would not object. But there may be someone else who has a different opinion. Either way, we should request that the description of those 'precipitation' names be amended to reflect the change.

For the record, what are the well-established definitions of "rain" and "cloud liquid water"? Is this already part of CF?

Best wishes,

     Philip