⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names

From: Tomoo Ogura <ogura>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:22:48 +0900

Hi Philip,

> This seems a reasonable distinction. I assume that your
> proposal is that the existing std_names with 'precipitation'
> should now be defined to exclude sedimentation of clouds
> and aerosols. I suspect that this is probably how
> people have already used them, so I would not object.
> But there may be someone else who has a different opinion.
> Either way, we should request that the description of
> those 'precipitation' names be amended to reflect
> the change.

I agree with you - thanks for this.

Regarding the definition of rain and cloud liquid water,
I should have been more careful about whether it is established
or not, since I'm not certain about it - I'm sorry for this.
I just wanted to mention the description in the Glossary
of Meteorology of American Meteorological Society.
It may not be part of CF yet.

raindrop
  A drop of water of diameter greater than 0.2 (or 0.5)mm
   falling through the atmosphere.

cloud drop
  A spherical particle of liquid water, from a few
  micrometers to a few tens of micrometers diameter.
  A diameter of 0.2mm has been suggested as an upper
  limit to the size of drops.

Best wishes,

Tomoo