⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard names

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:57:55 -0800

Hi Tomoo,

I would like to make sure that the definitions are appropriate to aerosols too.

I therefore suggest that the CF definition of precipitation and settling be in terms of 'particles with aerodynamic diameter less (more) than X'.

The only aerosols I know of that get bigger than 200 microns (0.2mm) are in dust storms, and even then are few in number, so almost all aerosols would be classified as 'sedimenting', which is what I think most aerosol people would expect. A 500 micron (0.5mm) cut-off would given an even bigger margin, but the distinction between cloud drop and rain is probably more important.

Best wishes,

     Philip