⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_name modifiers

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 14:07:41 -0700

I'm in favor of a generalized system for automatically constructing new
standard names by applying quantifiers to established ones. In fact, when I
first encountered the Guidelines for Construction of CF Standard Names, I
thought that's what it *was*, and it took me a while to understand that you
still had to actually propose the standard name and have it accepted.
 Obviously there are potential complications if chaining together multiple
quantifiers is allowed, but for simple derived names, I think it sounds like a
great idea.

Case in point: I've been meaning to propose two new standard names myself, and
hadn't gotten around to writing the email about it yet:

histogram_of_spell_length_of_days_with_lwe_thickness_of_precipitation_amount_above_threshold
histogram_of_spell_length_of_days_with_lwe_thickness_of_precipitation_amount_below_threshold

(I've simply applied the "histogram_of" modifier to two existing names here, so
that we can record the climatological distributions of wet and dry spells.)

This seems like exactly the kind of thing that could be automated away with
some general rules, no? Or is my proposal more controversial than I think it
is?

Cheers,

--Seth