⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_name modifiers -- units problem

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 12:32:15 -0800

Dear all,

Here's what the CF conventions say about dimensionless quantities:

"Units are not required for dimensionless quantities. A variable with no
units attribute is assumed to be dimensionless. However, a units
attribute specifying a dimensionless unit may optionally be included.
The Udunits package defines a few dimensionless units, such as
|percent|, but is lacking commonly used units such as ppm (parts per
million). This convention does not support the addition of new
dimensionless units that are not udunits compatible. The conforming unit
for quantities that represent fractions, or parts of a whole, is "1".
The conforming unit for parts per million is "1e-6". Descriptive
information about dimensionless quantities, such as sea-ice
concentration, cloud fraction, probability, etc., should be given in the
|long_name| or |standard_name| attributes (see below) rather than the
|units|. "

It does not indicate whether or not it is o.k. to set units to the empty
string, but by *not* mentioning this, I think we should assume that this
would not be CF compatible. I also think that a human interpreting
units = "" might think that the user had made mistake, whereas if the
units attribute were missing altogether, they would think it was simply
unitless. A strict interpretation of the conventions seems to imply:

1. a number (like "1" or "1e-6") should be used if the quantity
represents fractions or parts of a whole, whereas
2. the units attribute should be omitted in other dimensionless cases
(e.g., involving ratios such as calcium/boron ratio, or involving
"counts" such as the number of cars crossing a bridge each day) In
these cases the standard name indicates what the quantity is (but I
wonder what standard name applies in the second example above, and
should it have units of inverse time?)

If a quantity is dimensionless and the units attribute is present, I
think the CF checker currently only allows "1" as the units attribute.
Perhaps this should be generalized since apparently a conforming unit is
also a number (such as "1e-6" for ppm). I don't think it should allow
units = "".

Best regards,
Karl