⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_name modifiers

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 13:37:15 +0000

Dear Seth

I think we can devise systems which will develop *proposed* standard names
that conform to existing patterns and lexicon. If they do, they are often
uncontroversial and usually accepted. However we still need a manual approval
process because there are sometimes choices about how a quantity might be
described i.e. there's more than one possible conformant proposal, and there
are special cases when there is a commonly used term we might want to employ.
Apart from those reasons, there are also a quite often proposals which require
new lexicon, new interpretations or new patterns.