⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name grammar for version 14 of the table

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 08:09:15 +0100

Dear Philip

> In quickly looking over your updated grammar page, I noticed that the _due_to_(phenomenon) section contained the following:
>
> from icebergs
> from rivers
> from rivers and surface downward water flux
>
> Would it make sense to move these to the (preposition)(medium) section?

In version 13 I had these as phrasetype of their own, from_(water_source),
and Steve suggested moving them to the phenomenon type. I tend to think that's
better than medium, because these phrases occur after into_sea_water, which
is already a (preposition)_(medium) construction.
  water_flux_into_sea_water_from_rivers
is arguably analogous to
  heat_flux_into_sea_water_due_to_sea_ice_thermodynamics
so it makes sense to regard from_rivers as a cause. Semantically it could
be argued either way, but sytactically this is more economical.

A possible guiding principle for adding new standard names could be to
minimise the number of patterns, by using existing syntax if possible.

Thanks

Jonathan